Highland’s PDF templates are used when you are ready to export or print your document. They apply all the formatting you haven’t had to worry about in the Editor. Because they are independent of your document, you can switch between templates without reformatting.
To apply or change a template, open the Document Template popover using the button in top-right of the Editor. By default, the Screenplay template is selected.
There are presently 14 templates for you to choose from. They are grouped in the following categories: Scripts, Literary, Professional, Academic and Unformatted.
- Screenplay — The industry standard for features films and teleplays.
- Multi-Cam — The industry standard for multi-cam sitcoms, with dialogue and scene description automatically double-spaced.
- Stage Play — A common format for stage plays, with a wide left margin for Stage Direction and underlined Scene Headers. Lyrics are uppercase, non-italics.
- Graphic Novel — A common format for graphic novel scripts.\n\nMany writers use printed headings (#) to indicate page numbers, and forced scene headers (.PANEL ONE, .PANEL TWO) for individual panels.
- Manuscript — he industry standard for book submissions. This format automatically double-spaces. When writing, simply leave a blank line between paragraphs. Highland 2 will make the adjustment when you print or preview.
- Novel — A common layout for novels and other books, with alternating header alignment for left- and right-facing pages.
- Treatment — A popular format for film and television pitches, with bold headings.
- Modern Standard — A clean, contemporary format useful for a wide range of documents.
- Article — With strong type contrast and large block-quotes, this format is ideal for web-style articles.
- Bulletin — Featuring very large headings for signs and notices.
- Speech — Designed for public speaking.
- MLA Report — The common format for most college-level writing. This format automatically indents and double-spaces. When writing, simply leave a blank line between paragraphs. Highland 2 will make the adjustment when you print or preview.
- Wiki — A structured layout for reference material and tutorials.
- Plain Text — Completely unformatted, so all special markup (such as ** and #) will be remain in the printed document.
Highland Basic comes with five templates unlocked: Screenplay, Stage Play, Graphic Novel, Modern Standard and MLA Report. Highland Pro unlocks the remaining 9 templates.
Pro tip: Many of Highland’s Templates include typeface options for document headers or body copy. If available, dropdown menus will appear beneath the Template description.